Friday, April 12, 2013

Homemade sour cream

Sour cream is the king of all condiments.  We have a special place in our budget for sour cream.

We go through 1-2 tubs of sour cream a month and by tubs I don't mean tiny little things. I mean 5 pound tubs of sour cream.  Yes, I actually mean my family of 4 eats 5-10 pounds of sour cream a month.  We eat it on things you wouldn't even think about eating it on.

When we eat burritos, you can't see the burrito under all the sour cream.  When we eat quesadillas, you can't see the quesidillas under all the sour cream.  When we eat nachos...you get the idea.

Basically there is only one thing that can possibly ever be better than sour cream and that is homemade sour cream.  And if you can believe this, it's really really easy to make.



What a fantastic recipe!

Mix 2 cups half and half and 2 tablespoons buttermilk in a warm jar.  You can boil your jar in water or put it in the microwave for a tad bit.

Shake it up and let it sit on the counter 1-2 days til you like the thickness of it.

Store it in the fridge and eat it on everything.

By the suggestion from the blog I found this on, I made my own buttermilk by combining 1 cup milk and 1 tablespoon lemon juice and letting it sit for a few minutes.  Then I froze my buttermilk in 2 tablespoon increments so when I need to make more sour cream I just thaw out a chunk.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...