Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Pomegranate-chokecherry jelly

One week ago...

Chokecherry jelly is the best jelly in the world. The perfect peanut butter and jelly sandwich is made with homemade bread, creamy peanut butter, and chokecherry jelly. Any other kind of jelly and it's just not the perfect pb&j.

Present day...

I'm dazed and confused. I feel like someone pulled the rug out from underneath me. And that rug is called life.

My world is spinning and I don't know what to do or think.

There is a large possibility that I have discover a jelly that is even better than chokecherry jelly.

The loyal part of me wants to whisk this thought away and pretend I never thought it and say chokecherry is the best.

But until I make more chokecherry jelly and do the ultimate taste test there is no way to be sure. I'm going to go ahead and tell myself that the only reason this jelly is so good is because of the chokecherry juice.

While we wait on the official results of the taste test, I can say with 100% certainty that pomegranate-chokecherry jelly is defiantly a yummylicious jelly that should be consumed on a regular basis.




We bought a case of pomegranates from bountiful basket. After we got that lovely goodness home, I remembered something. I really do not like taking the seeds out of pomegranates, I'm highly irritated after doing just one. My kids always have to share a pomegranate because I would be impossible to live with if I had to pick all the seeds out of two.

And there I was, starring at a whole case of the things. It was not a lovely sight.  I almost cried just looking at them all.

My husband is fabulous.  Even though he really, really, really wanted to go organize his garage he took the seeds out of most of the pomegranates for me. I'm so blessed to have him.

After I made the juice I didn't really like the color or it, strangely enough it will a milky light pink.  It was still good tasting.  I had some chokecherry juice leftover in the freezer and I put that in with it and it made the color darker and less milky (don't ask me why it made it less milky, it just did).

Then I used the ball recipe for pomegranate jelly since there was a lot more pomegranate juice than chokecherry juice. My juice mixture is probably around 1/8th chokecherry juice.

3.5 cups pomegranate/chokecherry juice
5 cups sugar
1 package pectin

Mix the pectin in with the juice til it's all the way dissolved.  Heat to a boil. Mix in sugar, stir til dissolved and heat to a rolling boil. Boil hard for one minute. Ladle into hot jelly jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.  Put on a hot lid and screw it on tight, set upside down for 5 minutes and then turn right side up.  The jars will seal and there is no need to process them.

If you prefer you can skip the whole upside down right side up business and process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.

I have actually started putting my jelly into pint jars instead of jelly jars.  It looks a little silly, but my kids are pb&j monsters! They go through a jelly jar full every week.  So I'm saving money on lids. My kids would love me more if our daily menu was:

Breakfast: pb&j
Morning Snack: pb&j
Lunch: pb&j
1st afternoon snack: pb&j
2nd afternoon snack: pb&j
Dinner: Quesadilla (and by quesadilla, I mean tortilla with melted cheese)
Post dinner snack: pb&j
Once a week I will switch out one meal with either a hot dog or cereal just to spice up life.

Ha! They just can't understand why I bother to cook meals and make them eat something different for breakfast, lunch and dinner.


If you liked this post then please consider subscribing to my blog for more posts you will love, or leave a comment!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...