Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Peanut Allergy Hurts

I took my kids to story time today, we try to make it every week.  I don't know how it is at other library's story time but here they always have a theme to their book choices and a craft that goes with the theme.  I love it, the kids love it.  It's a win-win.

Today's theme was spiders. Yes!! I love Halloween. 

Craft time! It's a spider, yes that was expected.  A freakin' food craft? Are you kidding me, you have a monterous sign that says "No Food or Drink Allowed".  Cheyenne is allergic to peanuts and your handing out M&Ms left and right.  Thankfully, she isn't deathly allergic and I eventually calmed down her tantrum and we went to look for some books, hey the kid just seen donuts and candy and was dragged away while the rest of kids went into a feeding frenzy, I would throw a fit too. 

I want to complain.  At the same time, I don't want to take anything away from the other kids.  This isn't their faults and shouldn't be left out of anything, but neither should my daughter.  I find it hard to believe that my daughter is the only peanut allergy kiddo in this town who likes story time.

This is the first time we have been left out of an activity.  So it hurts me.  It's not about donuts and candy.  It's about being left out.  It's about my child being left out.

If we were never going there again it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but this is a place we will be visiting weekly for a long time.  My question to other peanut allergy moms is how do you handle things like this? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...